Wednesday, March 22, 2006

How Not to Spend 25+ Hours

So around 9 AM on Tuesday I realized that calls had started going out alerting members of the Chicago GSB Class of '08 of their admittance. This meant that at any moment I could get a call telling me that I was in. I never got such a call.

After the stressful day at work of waiting for my cell phone to go off (which it did twice, once from my sister and once from the notorious A. Dennis) I worked out and watched a bit of The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which didn't particularly impress me, although it wasn't too bad. I went to bed early, had a dream where I got a phone call from the adcom, awoke early and went jogging in the cold Boston weather to kill time.

About 100 yards away from my place, I realized that it was a bad idea to not have gloves on. I've decided that those that run in the winter (yes, it's technically spring, smartypants) up here are probably more hardcore than I am. I don't think I could stand jogging without my trusty flash mp3 player, so I suppose that's not very hardcore at all.

I got back to my apartment with time to shave, shower, and get ready for work before I would login to see my fate at 9 AM CST. The Chicago online site was so mobbed that it took me over a half hour (including my running next door to grab a breakfast sandwich and a coffee) to login and find that I was...waitlisted.

To quote Jim Carey:

SO I'VE GOT A CHANCE!

Oh well, I'll know by mid-May, I think, whether I got in or not. I like my chances as a candidate, and hope that I got waitlisted as part of Chicago's trying to keep their yield up (had an awkward moment in my interview when I told the interviewer where else I had applied). The only problem is that I'm unsure how much the waitlist will "move." I'm hoping it moves a lot. So all you people out there that got into more than one school (one of which was Chicago), well, you know where I'm going with this.

the bottom line: The wait continues.

Fantasy baseball is soon upon us! I'm drafting next week, AND HAVEN'T EVEN MAPPED OUT MY STRATEGY YET! Slow down. Don't get me wrong. I KNOW my strategy, I just haven't done the research yet. I will explain the strategy later. It involves Z-Scores.

Anyhow, this will be rather time consuming over the next few days, although I'll admit, I've been pre-occupied by a "movie draft" I'm also involved in.

so far my picks are: (round.spot taken in) - Category
1.10 -- Casablanca - B&W
2.07 -- The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - Western
3.10 -- Animal House - Kevin Bacon movie
4.07 -- Taxi Driver - Drama
5.10 -- Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - Musical
6.07 -- Hoosiers - Sports
7.10 -- Vertigo - Suspense/Thriller
8.07 -- The Dirty Dozen - War
9.10 -- Goldfinger - Action
10.07 -- Poltergeist - Horror
11.10 -- Fantasia - Kids/Animated
12.07 -- Paths of Glory - War
13.10 -- The Graduate - Comedy

I'll update this list as it develops.

Last, if you live near a Reebok or Rockport outlet, enjoy yourself. I do love a good bargain, and could use a pair of black dress shoes, or maybe even black casual shoes.

np: Kanye West - Touch the Sky (I'm quite impressed with this song)

BTW, today someone sent me a video of another someone vomiting. I'm not making this up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home